University Relations, a central University of Illinois (UA) office, responds to all FOIA requests for the University. Thomas Hardy, executive director of the Office for University Relations, is the chief records officer for the University of Illinois.
Questions should be directed to Kathy McCarthy, assistant director for FOIA administration . She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-333-6400.
NOTE: Due to volume, requests are not acknowledged.
Required information when filing
A request filed with the University of Illinois should include:
- the requestor's name
- complete contact information (name, address, email address that can be used for communication and responsive documents, phone number)
- a clear description of the document(s) being sought
- a statement that you are requesting records under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
- whether you are a commercial requestor
- if you are requesting records without charge or at a reduced charge
if you are seeking procurement documents, please specify a vendor name or bid number in your request. The University cannot search for these documents by subject matter alone. If you are unsure of a vendor name or bid number, please search the Illinois Public Higher Education Procurement Bulletin
Requests filed under the act, response letters, and responsive documents are themselves public records.
Filing Your Request
- Phone requests are not accepted.
- Submit a request by email to: email@example.com
- Submit a request by fax to: 217 - 333 - 5733
- Mail or deliver in person a request to:
Thomas P. Hardy
108 Henry Administration Building
506 South Wright St, MC-370
Urbana, IL 61801
The response period for processing a FOIA does not start until a request is received by University Relations, the FOIA-processing office.
Due to volume, requests are not acknowledged.
Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It does not require a public body to answer questions.
All FOIA responses are logged on a public website.